Thursday, November 1, 2012

"Boogie" Juice

Halloween was a day to top it all off. We celebrated by brewing some "boogie" juice. We gathered all of the ingredients and a s a class decided on what to name our items:
  • orange soda= mutant pumpkin vomit
  • orange sherbet= brain swirl
  • pineapple juice= moon juice
  • plastic skulls= victims
  • scooper= monster claw
  • condensed sweet milk (I find this too sweet, so I decided not to add it)

Before you make the concoction, have some Halloween music playing in the background. It definitely adds to the atmosphere. First, place a whole can of pineapple juice in a large bowl. Second, add 1/4 of the orange soda. Third, add four or five very large scoops of the ice cream. Finally, for the grand finale, add the skulls. Swirl everything around and see it get foamy. The kids LOVED it and the aroma of the mixture is delicious. I gave every kiddo a cup with a small scoop of ice cream filled with the mixture of the bowl. They each got a skull with both a spoon and a straw.  All you kept hearing was, "This is the best!" Of course this makes me feel like I made their day!





Other years, I call this concoction the witches' brew. I place all the items in a cauldron, add gummy worms (or any other gruesome gummy I can find), and serve it in colored cups. There are many variations online, but I find this one works the best.

These are great activities that allow for writing to be engaging and meaningful. They will be adding this recipe to their 5th grade Holiday Recipes. By the end off the year, I hope to bind their recipes together like a cookbook so that they have recipes they can do again and as a nice keepsake of 5th grade.

What is your favorite Halloween activity to do with the kiddos?

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, I'm not sure how nice this looks! I'm sure your kiddoes enjoyed it though! LOVE your blog design!

    Alison
    Teaching Maths with Meaning

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it looks very morbid, especially the "victims" (alien mutants who came to destroy earth, but being Halloween and the kids being at an age where they want to push limits, this was a safe environment for them to test those limits. They know it would have otherwise never been allowed...and yes my 5th grade kiddos devoured it!

      Delete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover