Sunday, October 7, 2012

Common Core Newbie

The Common Core is slowly but surely coming down the pipe-line in our district. You can also hear and read about everywhere. It is truly the new word in academia. It is being rolled out in specific grades this year in my district and district wide by next year. To tell you the truth, I am very excited about what I am already hearing: the emphasis on nonfiction, developing higher order thinking, integrating of multiple disciplines, etc. Many of these I already do, try to do, and strive to do. I like the commonality it is bringing across the states. 5th grade was not selected as a role out grade this year (bummer), I therefore brought it upon myself to do my own research and reading about the topic. I have bought books, read many blogs, many sites, etc. I love what I am learning. In the process I have found sites of awesome teachers out there that have districts that already rolled them out and have great resources to share.

One amazing blogger is Jen over at Hello Literacy. She knows her stuff.  She has this presentation on SlideShare that has a lot of information on the what is and what is not the Common Core. She presented to her teachers as well as to teachers at a different school. You can see the presentation below as well as download a copy for yourself at SlideShare.




She also has many free products on the topic, as well as some you can purchase from her TpT store.


I just purchased these =)
What other sites do you use that have Common Core resources and information?

1 comment:

  1. This blog post is awesome! Thanks for the shout-out! I really have read so much over the last year and I recommend two books and a website. Pathways to the Common Core by Lucy Calkins and Notice and Note, a book by Kylene Beers (out in November from Heinemann) about teaching students to be "close readers." I am definitely picking myself a copy. There is also an interesting blog by Burkins and Yaris. They blog about a different aspect of the Common Core daily. I don't always agree with *everything* they say, but it's some great Common Core food for thought. Thanks again and good luck in your Common Core journey, and kudos to you for taking it on now without a mandate to do so!

    ReplyDelete


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover